Chapter Three:  Flight of Deception

 

“Hmm…  Crandall…  Ah,  yeah,  C-Unit.”  Sharon Majors said as she ran through the roster file on her computer.  Li and Virginia stood at the desk and tried to appear patient as the White Rocket Trainee looked up their clearances and affiliations to clear their request for a helicopter.  “Seems your unit was dispatched to Johto this morning for a class 5 mission.”  Sharon said,  typing away.  “Did you miss the transport?”

Li smiled calmly.  “Yeah,  we ran into some personal trouble.  We just need to grab a chopper and follow them out.  It’s all cleared.”  He said as smoothly as he could.

Sharon looked at him quizzically,  and nodded.  “All right,  then.  Any equipment to load?”  she asked,  reaching for the phone to call for help if it was needed. 

“Nothing we can’t handle.  Don’t trouble yourself.” Virginia said quickly. 

Sharon moved her hand away from the phone.  “All right, then…  let’s see…  Helicopter number 79-J is available.  Will a four seater be enough for your cargo?”

“More than enough.”  Li said with a grin. 

Sharon typed an entry,  and printed the release form.  She handed it to Virginia,  who quickly scribbled her name on the line.  Sharon reached to the locked key cabinet beside her and swung it open.  From inside she withdrew a set of keys on a red tag and handed them to the Assassins.  “Excellent work, Trainee.”  Virginia said calmly as she and her brother turned away and walked to their idling vehicle.  The humvee pulled into the airfield,  and drove to the spot where their helicopter awaited them. 

In the small office,  Sharon filed the request and stood up to stretch.  She had been sitting all morning,  and was stiff.  With a sigh,  she walked outside for a breath of fresh air.  Out of the corner of her eye,  she saw the two Assassins she just dealt with climb out of the humvee and walk toward the chopper.  What a life,  she thought.  I can’t believe that someday that could be me,  jetting off to points all over the world.  She watched the pair with admiration as they looked around,  apparently not noticing her.  The woman walked to the back door and yanked it open.  Together with her brother,  she reached inside and pulled out a bundle wrapped in a white cloth.  Odd,  Sharon thought.  They said they didn’t need help, but that load looks awfully big.  Virginia and Li pulled Dominique’s drugged form all the way out and her legs dropped to the ground.  Li ran around and grabbed the legs as Virginia began to walk to the chopper’s doors so they could load Domino in between them.  Sharon gasped as she realized that the bundle had a very human shape,  and that these two were loading it onto a helicopter casually.  Something was amiss here… 

For a moment,  Sharon considered simply approaching the pair and asking if they needed help,  but at that moment the doors slammed shut and the chopper blades began to turn.  The helicopter lifted off,  and Sharon walked back inside,  shaking her head.  Perhaps it would be best if she ignored this,  but…  that was a body.  It had to be.  After a moments hesitation,  she picked up the phone and dialed a special extension.

“Mr. Morgan’s office.  Conway here.”  Constance said authoritatively.

“Ms. Conway?  This is White Rocket trainee Sharon Majors at the airfield.  I have something that I think Mr. Morgan should know about.  Is he available?”

Within minutes,  Constance was in the office,  standing by Michael’s side as he listened to Sharon’s report with growing concern.  “And you say it was a body?  Are you sure?”  he said into the speakerphone. 

“I’m positive,  Mr. Morgan.  I went outside for some air, and I saw them loading it on the chopper.  I thought I had better report it.”

Michael exchanged glances with Constance,  and looked at the speakerphone on his desk.   “Who were they?”  he asked.

“They were Black Rocket Assassins. Their names were,  uh…”  Sharon grabbed the request form.  “..Virginia and Li Crandall.”

“Crandall.”  Constance whispered.  Michael nodded.

“Did they say where they were going?”  Michael asked. 

“Johto.”  Sharon replied.  “Is there anything I should do, sir?” 

“No,  no.  Thank you for your report.”  Michael said as he hit the disconnect button.  The son of Jessie and James Morgan then turned to his partner.  “Constance,  what units are active right now?”  he asked.  Constance walked to the far wall and grabbed a clipboard that held the week’s orders. 

“Unit A was dispatched to Base Camp Delta last night to help with the training,  and Units C and D were sent out to Johto this morning.” She said,  flipping through the pages.

“Unit C.  That’s Crandall’s unit,  isn’t it?”  Michael said thoughtfully.

“Yeah,  it sure is.”  Constance replied.  “Maybe they’re just late in joining their unit,  but if that’s the case,  what are they doing with a body?”

“No idea, unless they lied and they’re not headed for Johto at all.”  Michael said thoughtfully.  Suddenly he rose up from his leather chair.  “Come on,  I think we ought to check up on our friends.”

Constance followed Michael out of the office and down to a basement level directly below the gym.  From above,  Michael could hear the sounds of a battle taking place as his sister’s fiancé, Kyle Ketchum,  engaged another trainer in the battle for the Earth Badge.  The newest leader of Team Rocket and his second in command strolled into the room,  and the Rockets on duty instantly snapped to attention.  This was a room that had been dreamed up by Giovanni some time before,  and had finally been completed within the past year.  It was a worldwide surveillance system,  fully capable of tracking Team movements, vehicles, and operations all around the different regions. 

Michael acknowledged the occupants with a smile that assured them that it was fine to go about their business,  and walked to a Black Rocket who sat at a console before a big computer display.  “Reynolds,  punch up the transponder tag for chopper number 79-J,  will you?”  he asked.

“Yes, Sir.” Reynolds was quick to comply as his fingers flew over the keys.  Within minutes,  a map of the Kanto Region and the nearby Orange Islands flickered onto the screen,  with a blip labeled “79-J”. 

Michael looked at it curiously.  After a moments thought,  he added,  “Plot its last point of departure to its current position.”  Reynolds nodded,  and hit the keys as a dotted line appeared from a star indicating the Team airfield and extended to the chopper’s blip. 

Constance looked at the flight path.  “They’re not headed for Johto.”  She stated.  “The flight path’s all wrong for a course to Johto.”

Michael stared at the blip as it advanced on the map.  “Looks like they’re heading for the islands, doesn’t it?”  Constance nodded in agreement.  “Now what are they doing heading there?  And what the heck are they doing with a body?”  Michael murmured.

“Looks like we’ve got a murder mystery, eh?”  Constance asked.

“Let’s hope not.” Michael said as he turned away from the board.  “You said Units A, C, and D are active.  What about Unit B?”

“They just returned from a mission on Seafoam Island.”  Constance replied. 

“All right.  Here’s what I want,  Constance.  Tell B Unit to get ready on a transport.  They’re going to come with me out there following that tag,  but they are not to act until we know what Virginia and Li are up to.”

“Right.  B-Unit to come with you and me to follow the Crandalls.” Constance said as they walked into the hall. 

Michael stopped and turned to face her.  “No, Constance,  You’re staying here.” He said firmly.

“What?  Why?”

“Because those two are trained assassins.  Professional killers.  It’s been ingrained in them.  I won’t risk you coming along and getting killed.”  Michael said curtly as the pair neared the elevator.

Constance drew a sharp breath.  “Permission to speak freely,  Sir.” She said in a sharp tone. 

Michael froze.  “Excuse me?” he asked,  knowing that Constance hadn’t used that tone since he first became the Leader all those months ago.

“Sir,  I am a Red Rocket, just like you.  My training surpasses that of an assassin’s.  And if I may add,  I have helped you kick their asses before.” Constance replied.

Michael sighed and grinned at his partner.  “Connie…” he began as the elevator doors opened and they stepped inside. 

“Yes, sir?” came the instant reply.

“Cut that out.”  Michael answered.  “You know I hate it when you talk to me like this.”

“Then, Michael, please.  Stop acting like a leader protecting your lady.  Treat me like your partner.  I still am your partner, aren’t I?”

Michael smiled.  “Of course you are.”

“I’m in the pursuit, then?” 

Michael rolled his eyes with a familiar look of resignation that only Constance could produce.  “Yes.” He said. 

Constance chuckled and pumped her arm.  “Boo yah.  Still got it.”

Michael just shook his head.  “Set it up.  I’ll meet you at the airfield in 30 minutes.”  Constance nodded as Michael stepped off the elevator at Gym level and walked away as the doors closed and Constance continued up to the second level.  Michael walked a short distance down the hall,  and found the double doors to the gym open.  Kyle stood in the doorway with Kat Morgan by his side,  both of them facing Kyle’s challenger,  and young trainer who looked unnervingly similar to Kyle.  The young man wore blue jeans and a jacket with a patch that read “Ritchie Jr.”  Michael stood there in silence as he listened to the exchange.  “Your next Pokemon?”  Kyle called to the trainer.

Young Ritchie Jr. looked to the ground.  “I don’t have one strong enough.”  He said quietly.  “I forfeit.”

Kyle grinned triumphantly.  “All right.  Don’t be discouraged, though.  You put up a good fight.  Come back soon.”  Ritchie Jr.  smiled and nodded his thanks as he recalled an unconscious Vaporeon and turned away to leave. 

Kat turned to her fiancé and smiled.  “Congratulations!  I guess you’re getting better at this!”

“Hardy har har.”  Kyle said with a grin.  “So it took me a while to get used to it.”

“A while?” came Michael’s voice from behind them.  “Do you know how many extra Earth Badges I had to request from the League last month?”

Kyle jumped,  and turned to face Michael.  “You know how to sneak up on someone, don’t you?”  He said.

Michael chuckled.  “Forgive me.  Base Camp Delta stealth training pays off.  Listen, I have to talk to both of you….”

Kat looked at her brother.  “Why?  What’s wrong?” 

Michael put his hand on her shoulder.  “Come on…” he said as he led the two of them away down the hallway.

“You’re going after them?  After they’ve been seen hauling around a body?” Kat asked with concern.  Michael sat in his chair behind his desk and nodded as Kat sat on the opposite side of his desk with concerned look and Kyle paced around. 

“Couldn’t you just send someone to check it out for you, Michael?”  Kyle asked.

Michael shook his head.  “No,  this is something I have to do.  If those two are up to something, I want to know what it is.  Don’t worry,  I’ve got a whole Unit coming with me, not to mention Constance.”

“Oh, right,  don’t worry.  That’s your line for everything,  Michael.  How can I not worry when I hear that my only brother is going to chase after a couple of known murderers who already have a grudge against him?” Kat asked.  “I thought my days of worrying about you in the field were over.” She said softly as a tear fell from the corner of her eye.  Kyle moved to comfort her as Michael took a deep breath. 

“Look, really, try not to worry.  It probably won’t be anything,  and even if it is, I’ll be well-protected.  I just want you to do me a favor while I’m gone.” 

“What’s that?”  Kat asked,  not sure she wanted to know at all. 

“Field my office.  Be in charge.  You’re my sister,  nobody will mess with you.”

Kat looked up,  “Me,  in charge?  But-  well,  what about the gym?”

Michael looked at Kyle with a grin.  “I think Kyle can handle it alone for a day.  After all,  he has come a long way, right?”

Before Kat could answer,  Kyle’s enthusiasm took over.  “You really think I could?” he blurted.

“Sure.  Just go easy on the badge supply.”

Kyle turned to look at Kat.  “What do you say?”  he persisted.

Kat shook her head.  “Be careful.”  She said softly as she hugged Michael close.   

“Always.”  Michael replied.  “Thanks.  I’ll be in touch!” he finished as he ran out the door.

“He is a brave one.  Must run in your family lines.” Kyle commented.

Kat sighed as she plopped into Michael’s chair.  “I just hope it doesn’t get him killed one day.”  At that moment,  a light flashed in the wall,  noting that a new challenger was here. 

Kyle grinned at the prospect of another battle.  “Here we go.” He said excitedly as he wrung his hands together and walked out of the office. 

Kat looked down at the desk and held her head in her hands.  Silently,  she prayed for the safety of her brother and her fiancé.  After a moment,  she reached for the phone to call home and inform her parents of the situation.  She couldn’t face this worry alone…

Michael’s Jeep pulled up to the airfield and the driver bid him good day and good luck as he climbed out in his black suit with his revolver tucked neatly under his arm in a shoulder holster.  With a nod to the same trainee who had alerted him of the situation that morning,  Michael walked to the waiting transport where a number of Rockets of varying ranks stood by Constance,  awaiting their orders. “Good Morning,  Ladies and Gentlemen.”  Michael said as he walked to Constance’s side.  “We have a possible situation of rogue murderers on our hands.  However,  We cannot confirm this at this time.  Therefore,  this is what we will do.  You will accompany Red Rocket Conway and I in a transport to follow a Team Helicopter’s transponder tag.  You are all armed,  but no action is to be taken without my direct order.  Is that understood?”

“Yes, Sir!” came the unanimous reply.  Constance smiled.  Unit B was comprised mostly of Rockets who were newer and had shown a large amount of loyalty to Michael and his ways,  and held few who would turn on him.  At least she could believe Michael to be safe in their company.  Michael waved the Unit on board,  and the Rockets marched on board in order of rank.  Michael and Constance were the last to board,  and Michael walked to the front of the craft,  where a Red Rocket named Cynthia Greenway sat in the pilot’s seat.  “Ready?”  he asked. 

“As ever,  Sir.”  Cynthia replied as she started the transport’s engines and began taxiing to the runway as Constance sat down at the plane’s radar  tracking station and begin inputting the transponder information.  Within seconds,  the blip for Virginia and Li’s helicopter appeared blinking on the screen, about halfway between Kanto and the Orange Islands. 

“Course heading 793-alpha,  cross check 1659 westerly.”  Constance stated.  Cynthia nodded and set her instruments for the flight as the plane approached the runway. 

“Clear to proceed.”  Michael said as he sat down in the co-pilot’s seat.  The large jet rumbled down the runway and was off in the sky in minutes,  following the transponder’s signal as the Rockets onboard checked their weapons and wondered what was in store.  Cynthia piloted the plane expertly,  and announced that they would have no trouble keeping up with the rogue chopper.  Michael slipped on a pair of sunglasses from his suit pocket,  and stared ahead out the window as Constance monitored the Crandall’s progress.

On board the helicopter, small patches of light found their way to Dominique’s eyes as she groggily opened them,  and immediately squinted them shut.  Around her,  she could hear the dull thump of an engine,  and she could somehow sense that she felt like she was floating.  Where was she?  Slowly,  she sat up and saw a window that showed nothing but blue skies.  Even though she had only been knocked out for a couple hours,  Dominique felt as though she could have been out for days.  Wearily,  she looked out the window and realized that the view of sky wasn’t simply her perspective tricking her.  She was on board a helicopter, and the two who had kidnapped her were piloting it.  They remained facing forward,  evidently unaware that she had woken up.  Cautiously,  she reached forward and tapped the man,  who turned around to look at her.  “Ah,  welcome back to the world of the living,  Mistress.”  He said with a smile that chilled Dominique. 

“Where are we now?”  Dominique asked,  unsure of how much more of this torture she could take. 

It was Virginia who answered this query.  “We are at a steady altitude,  currently flying close to the region of the Orange Islands.  We have a very special destination.” She said,  not taking her eyes away from the islands that were slowly coming into view.

Dominique held her head,  tired and desperate for all this to end.  “Where’s that?”  she asked.

Virginia continued to stare ahead,  her eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses.  “All in good time,  Mistress.  All in good time.” She said with a smirk.

Dominique collapsed with a groan,  and chose her next words despite the suspicion that they would mean nothing to he captors.  “Please…  I can’t make sense out of any of this!  Whatever you have planned probably won’t change that.  Just…  just let me go.  Please?  I want to go home.”

“Negative.”  Virginia barked. 

“Besides,  we’re almost there.”  Li stated.  Dominique leaned forward, and saw that they were approaching a large island that appeared deserted.  She could make out the remains of some building that must have once stood on the island,  and the vague shape of a helicopter landing pad that  was almost covered in jungle growth.  Dominique looked at it curiously as a very odd sense of familiarity began to wash over her.  Suddenly, she found herself no longer yearning to be free and away from these people.  Strangely,  she was intrigued by this island,  more so than she would have ever dreamed possible…

Li looked back at her again and smiled as he saw the interest on her face,  and gave his sister a thumbs up as the helicopter began to lower itself to the pad.

Part Four: Ghosts of the Past and Demons of the Present